Between the posts
The WHC Goalkeeper Junior section has grown at an impressive rate over the last few seasons. We now host nearly 40 Junior Goalkeepers between U10-U16. Not only do we have so many Goalkeepers enjoying their hockey, but this success has transitioned into performance. The 2017/2018 season saw 7 of our Goalkeepers play for Surrey AC. This season we have even more participating in Surrey trials.
With the ever-expanding Wimbledon Club, juniors now have more opportunities to hone their skills. Additional GK specific mid-week sessions aimed for both development and performance, allow training for all. Alongside Sunday morning GK specific sessions and weekly junior matches, Goalkeepers also have the option to train with their age group performance teams. These many opportunities allow them to meet their needs and maximise their potential.
The coaching team strive to provide support for all Goalkeepers throughout their contact with the club. Encouraging and ensuring integration with teams, whilst still providing specialist coaching for this unique role.
Goalkeepers are stretched and encouraged to play outside their comfort to assist their learning and development. Many play for adult teams to get a taste of adult hockey while still being fully supported in the junior environment.
If you are interested in trying out goalkeeping, please contact the club. Don’t worry if you don’t have access to kit, we can provide that for you. Just turn up with a positive attitude, ready to have fun and throw yourself around!
Junior Goalkeeper Head Coach
The Wimbledon Club
Hints and Tips
Its all about:
1. Be ready for anything- not losing concentration, be ready when called upon
2. Good set position- balanced, hands up, Weight forward with everything we do!
3. Decision making- Being fast and decisive. Learning through error and never hesitating
4. Do everything you can to save the ball- it’s not all about technique… sometimes it looks ugly! Never give up!
5. Communication- Understanding the game and having good relationships with your teammates. Using the right communication at the right time, delivered in the right way.